Tuesday, April 24, 2012

This Is Not A Real Problem

Gift cards are one of my most favorite gifts to receive and yet I am probably one of the worst people to give them to.  I get overwhelmed by the possibilities and I cannot commit.  I horde them away for a special occasion, or to wait for something I have to have, or until I figure out how to best use them.  I don't want to waste them, I pressure myself to choose something super good, and ultimately I cannot decide.  Ever.

Last weekend, I hit the mall determined to spend the small pile I have accumulated.  There are more where these came from:

I got that Banana Republic gift card for Christmas.  In 2010.  That pink one is from Victoria's Secret.  I found it recently in the bottom of my jewelry box.  I do not remember who gave it to me or where it came from or how old it is (so sorry).  It appeared so old that I assumed it had long been used and was ready to toss it.  Erring on the side of just in case, I called for a balance inquiry and the card had a $47 balance.  $47!  I suck.  The two Sephora gift cards were from just this past birthday/Christmas season and I'm actually pretty proud of myself for using them so quickly.

With the exception of Sephora (which never disappoints) my shopping adventure did not go so well.  It always seems like the day that you are most determined to buy is the very day that nothing strikes your fancy or they don't have your size or Victoria's Secret is overflowing with a sea of teenage girls and the idea of fighting your way through a gaggle of 15 year olds to dig in a 5 for $25 panty bin requires more patience than you have.  I tried.  I really did.  I did manage to buy a cute top at Banana Republic.  On sale.  For $11.  Way to go, me. 

I still love a good gift card.  I love getting to choose exactly what I want.  I just am shockingly, shockingly bad at it.

0 comments: